Monday, November 3, 2008

Finance

I'm looking at taking a big chunk of my Financial Aid check from January and sticking it in a short term CD (like 6 months) so that way this summer when I am studying for the bar exam it will mature, and almost more importantly: Megan and I will not be able to touch it before then. <-- is this a stupid idea with the interest rate being so low right now?

I'm looking for virtually NO risk (the kind of risk that means if I lose that money the USA has bigger things to worry about). I'd love to put $$ into a mutual fund and see it double in that time (like if prices bounced back to what they were 5 months ago), but I'd hate to get to June and have it be worth half as much as if I had just put it under my matress (as Megan's mutual fund has done in the last few months).

1 comment:

Eric said...

1) Will Rogers said it best: I'm more concerned with the return OF my principal than the return ON my principal.
2) CD's are a short term, perfectly safe investment. They are one of a handful. Best bet: DNCU CD's.
3) You never put money in the market that doesn't have a long-term out look unless you are day-trading it. And day trading is a very fun way to gift your money to strangers.

Your are a wise man, Matt, and although you thought you needed an answer on this one, you really didn't -- you pegged it right. Get the CD and DO NOT GET A CD FROM A BANK THAT OFFERS A HUGE RATE: Credit Union Credit Union Credit Union. See Rule # 1 :^)