Saturday, July 28, 2007

Blast From The Past!



I'm making a pictorial history of my cars to someday share with Gibson.


(Went to the Kickapoo County Fair today, there was a tractor exhibit - I didn't know there used to be a tractor company named Gibson!)


And I stumbled across this picture.


It needs a roof rack, of course. Fold down the back seat, toss some suitcases down, and some blankets, and you have appropriate sleeping quarters for two 5 year old boys!


Mom used to leave for Merced from La Cueva with 20 bucks, we'd drive to Kingman, pay $6 for a Motel 6, and then drive the rest of the way to Merced. Figure about 50 mpg with gas at $0.29 per gallon, and it's about 7 buck for the gas to go from La Cueva to Merced!


Holy Cow!


Granola bars, potted meat, Vienna Sausages, and those chewy stick things that sort of remind me of tootsie rolls but not really. What the heck were those?


Turns out I've owned (at least in part) 20 cars (except 3 were motorcycles). :)

5 comments:

Sara said...

When we drove to Phoenix with mom last month i bought some Vienna Sausages for the trip (couldn't do the potted meat!) and she was so happy! She ate a few, I could only eat one, the kids wouldn't eat any of them...

Don't you wish we could still make it to California on $20?

She said that once the car broke down I think near Grants, and some friend of dad's flew you guys home and dad had to stay and fix the car, that is pretty cool!

Alex Wade said...

I remember a gas station we always stopped at called Terrible Herbst. I think it was in Barstow. Not sure.

I-40 hadn't been built the first few times we went. Route 66 went though little towns in AZ like Valentine, Peach Springs, and Seligman. We'd stop sometimes at the painted desert or the metoer crater (of course it was fresh then) and we'd play car games with little cardboard things with sliding red plastic windows, if you saw something you slide the windows shut and it was kind of like bingo, I think.

One time we drafted a semi for a long time and mom had to ride the brakes to keep from getting sucked under the truck, but she got 90 mpg or something. Needed new brakes, though.

AM radio only.

We drove that same car to Mexico and back. Like, southern Mexico, near Cozumel.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Eric said...

I got cc'd on an email dad sent out to the internet worldosphere that he's willing to give the 600's away to anyone that will take them off the property.

I'm not sure if that's forward progress for him or what...

Matt Wade said...

I think I might have given dad that idea. I told him that he might even be able to get scrap metal money for them if there was a way to get them up on trailers and to someone that would buy, but I knew that if he got the word out someone would surely come get them for free...

Sorry if you all were planning on getting those things back up and running, but I'm trying to slowly convince dad that having a junk yard in the front of his house isn't nearly as cool as he thinks...