Saturday, April 5, 2008

401K vs. IRA

Matt asked me recently which was better, a 401K or an IRA.

I wanted to answer it here in case future readers wanted to know...

It's a good question but in some ways it's like asking whether a pickup truck is better than a sedan. The answer is: it depends.

In a nutshell: 401k's are usually associated with your employer. The account is YOURS and the assets are yours, but the plan itself is usually (and by usually I mean I can't think of one that is not) attached to work. Moreover, since each company's plan can have many different features, you may have trouble getting to your money in case of emergency. Some plans allow loans, some don't. On the other hand, some employers "match" a portion of your contribution as a way to 1) help you retire and 2) incentivize you to participate and 3) allow them to admit high-dollar earners into the plan without it getting too top heavy. This is important to Wades because during this generation, the Wade Family is literally shifting into the "high earner" category of any organization we are associated with.

IRA's on the other hand, are your Individual account. You can consider it a savings account with perks. You can open one virtually anywhere, including a bank or a credit union or a mutual fund company or a brokerage. The IRA holds liquid assets such as cash, money market funds, certain bonds, stocks, etc. Fancy IRA services can even hold the deeds to real estate and other real properties. As this is YOUR account that you set up independent of your employer, you can do anything you want with it. There are restrictions, of course, but getting money out is up to you (and the penalties and the taxes, but NOT a company telling you what you can and can't do.)

Other significant differences:
ASSETS: Ira's are VERY flexible. 401k's are usually pretty limited to a dozen or even fewer investments, and they are almost always mutual funds.
My single most critically important piece of advice for investing in a 401K - make damn sure the funds they are selling you are exchange traded or NASDAQ funds. Do not ever ever ever buy a fund that you can't track in the newspaper or online at www.bigcharts.com

OWNERSHIP: An IRA is yours yours yours. A 401K is yours but in the caring hands of your employer until you quit. It is rare, but there have been cases of employers neglecting to actually send in the checks to fund the 401k. Sadly, this usually happens with crappy companies and so when you lose your job is when you find out that the CFO absconded with the cash. And, they might have even put you in fake funds (see above). Again, this is very very rare.

CONTRIBUTIONS: IRA's can be pretty limited as to how much you can put in them, like a few thousand bucks a year. This is to keep Ross Perot from eliminating that last few percent of income taxes that he hasn't been able to get rid of. 401ks, on the other hand, are designed for active income earners (workers) and therefore allow you to shield a lot more from taxes (like $15 or $16 thousand a year). And, the contribution you make from your paycheck is pre-tax dollars which reduces your drag through the year.

MATCHING: 401ks have it all over IRA's here. When your employer matches a percentage of your contribution, it is literally FREE MONEY. My employer matches 4%, which isn't bad. Some employers are even more generous. This match might have a vesting schedule, but still... free money is nice.

In general, I've always felt that if you are offered a 401k, go with that first unless it is absolutely draconian with its rules and sketchy. And you can ask me about that.

There's a lot more to think about, like when is an IRA contribution tax deductible and what about when it is time to retire, but we can cover that another time.

5 comments:

Matt Wade said...

Ok, so for right now, not having a fantastic job, I should look at opening a Roth IRA?

I mean, all of this will be my account, correct, so in 5 years if I choose to move it into another IRA, or 401(k) then I can move it, right?

I'm not setting up something that can't be undone, right? Also, if in 2 years an emergency happened, then I can withdraw money, I jsut have to pay taxes on it, right?

are all of these different kinds of accounts actually funds? I mean, is there a FDIC insured way to save? there just isn't much reward in it, right?

Eric said...

Okay, I don't want to oversimplify this but yes, at the root level, they are savings accounts. Very special savings acounts that are so favorable for long term saving that they actually punish the daylights out of you for using it as short term savings. There is taxes as well as a penalty if you withdraw early.

Alex Wade said...

Matt-
Many people end up with both.
I have a SIMPLE IRA from when I was self-employed. I got a 401k when I was employed. I combined them into a traditional IRA when I quit that company.

I'll start a new 401k when I start my new job. I'll probably also start an IRA and every other tax-deferring instrument that the IRS recognizes, like educational IRAs, UTMAs, etc, to sheild my income from taxation so young me doesn't spend old me's rice and beans money.

As Eric said: If they match, invest at least as they will match. When you leave the company, move the 401k, any tax-deferred IRA will accept the transfer.

A Roth IRA is with after-tax dollars so it's not taxed later, whereas a traditional IRA is pre-tax dollars, has income limits, and will be taxed LATER (when I'm too old to fight about it). If you don't qualify for the IRA to be tax deductible, there are still some benefits to having one, like the fact that it can't be taken away (see Goldman v. Simpson).

Now get in the Pit and try to love someone!

Dave said...

There are a couple of things that most people don't realize about these things. Many times people say "before tax" and "after tax" and it sort of makes sense but you don't think deeper. When money is "before tax" you will never pay taxes on it until you retire (when you probably won't have to,) So, If you don't do the savings, you WILL pay some certain amount to the IRS in taxes. Long ago, when I could barely afford lunch money, I made a spreadsheet that would estimate the difference in the amount of money that I would owe the IRS if I didn't save and I saved that money. In essence, I kept the money that I would have owed in taxes. Nothing wrong with that, you just have to be smart enough to do it.

Number 2... The reason all the Enron employees lost everything was that they were invested in Enron Stock. Don't do ssomething similar (without a lot of caveats).

Eric said...

Yes, Dad's right about Enron. More importantly, the reason they were all invested so heavily in Enron is because it was so hyper-inflated (part of the scam) that the greedy pigs broke cardinal rule #1 (don't put all your eggs in one basket) and cardinal rule #2 if it looks to good to be true, it probably is. I read articles from people that felt they were ENTITLED to the amazing 40% compound annual growth with NO RISK. I swear, some of those idiots told the newspapers they thought it was risk free. Sheesh.