Thursday, March 27, 2008

BPA - what is the deal?

Ok so I was hearing from folks that I needed to add my breastfeeding "needs" to our registry. So I go online and not only do I immediately become overwhelmed with the many choices of pumps, bottles, feeding systems, etc. I also start reading reviews about the "BPA Scare".

To be honest I never heard about BPA and I immediately start looking up info about it and find that it is a chemical some find safe and some claim is completely harmful, specifically to the unborn and newborn child! It is found on can liners, plastic bottles, and more. While some claim it is a naturally occurring chemical resembling estrogen and is nothing to be worried about, the website i looked at claims that it causes increase chance or cancers, hyperactivity, and can hamper, halt or disrupt reproductive development and brain development.

Basically I am freaking out. I thought the hardest thing I would have to do this evening was figure out which system would be best for breast/bottle feedings, which by the way I am still clueless about! Instead I find myself increasingly worried about this. Did I drink from my Nalgene bottle too much, have I made sure I hand washed the plastic and not dish washed? Did I eat too many canned soups? Have I increased the chance for my child to develop cancer or diabetes (also suggested by the website)?

I realize there are more than enough things to scare a person about if you think on it hard enough, but should I worry? My doctor never mentioned it, so is it worth freaking out about?

I need some advise/comfort from the more experienced!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If ossible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Aparelho de DVD, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://aparelho-dvd.blogspot.com. A hug.

Eric said...

Hmm... that guy above me doesn't seem like he was much help to you, Megan! Of course, neither will I be!!! I was reading your post thinking, oh crap, finally Megan gets on here and I have no idea how to help her! I didn't even know about BPA until I read your post and I can see why you'd be worried. I think we used those "bottles" with the little baggies that you toss when you are done with each serving. (serving?)

If you do find anymore out on this, please feel free to post it so we can build our info for future readers.

Eric

Alex Wade said...

Jennifer could help with this discussion quite a bit.

Perhaps she should be re-invited to participate.

Alex

Dave said...

There are several companies that make baby bottles that don't contain BPA. Walmart announced that they have removed all BPA containing bottles so they should be a source. Better to be safe than sorry this early. The real problem is the liner in the canned foods that we all eat. Baby food still comes in glass bottles, doesn't it? However, don't expect me to give up my beautiful Nalgene water bottles. But I don't think I'm going to have a problem with early onset of puberty.

Anonymous said...

FDA says don't worry. http://www.fda.gov/oc/opacom/hottopics/bpa.html

If that is insufficient, just wash the bottles in boiling water for an hour - that should dissolve any minute amounts of BPA off the surface and sterilize the bottle in the bargain.

Pete in Sacramento