Monday, July 7, 2008

"Harmful" Water Bottles???

This isn't exactly the same question as what Megan asked about the baby bottles, but maybe similar.

I try to drink a lot of water. I try to drink it out of my marvelous BRITA whenever I can.

Which means I'm perpetually looking for something to HOLD the water in. Being the cheap bastidge that I am, I like to use plastic water bottles a few times. Not until they're gross, mind you, but maybe twice or three times.

And then someone tells me that there's research that says "Do Not ReUse Water Bottles"

DIRECTLY contradicting the "reduce, reuse, recycle" stuff I'm a big fan of. Something about the plastics can be carcinogenenic once they're used so just recycle them. According to the Plastics Council of Greater Muskogee or something official like that.

Scared me right off reusing those things.

For a while. Now I'm STEAMED. I think I've been had, but I only have logic on my side. If those water bottles are so dangerous, why are we using them at all??? If they're gonna kill me after one use, shouldn't we be considering them weapons?

I'm thinking that this is a bunch of bunk science aimed at keeping water drinkers like myself from shaving 99.999% off the cost of that second bottle of water by reusing a perfectly good container.

(What's really sad in all of this is that I think I've developed a small, nagging habit of questioning Corporate America. Great. Next I'll be getting hemp britches and a compost heap.)

Eric

No comments: